Sunday, December 30, 2012

Taking Care of Yourself

It's been a while (months...) since I posted my last entry.  I have let work consume every minute of my day to the point where it's all I do now.  Yes, the assignment I'm working is just temporary.  I have zero intentions of making a career out of this, no matter how much I LOVE the challenge and the wealth of knowledge that surrounds me on a daily basis.  Like all my other rotations, I have taken every opportunity to learn and experience all I can during this short period of time - so I can both learn new things and grow in my career.  But with this, I have sacrificed many things that I used to hold close to my heart.  I haven't been spending as much time with my friends as I'd like, I barely see my dad (and I LIVE with him....), I don't get to snuggle with Riley as much as I'd like to, and more importantly, I have let my own well-being fall to the bottom of my priorities list.

I thought 2012 was going to full of sustainable, healthy living and activities.  I was supposed to run my first marathon, but I had to defer due to severe shin pain that I couldn't shake.  I did PR at both the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler and the Parkway Classic (10 Miler) in April.  I didn't PR at the Army 10 Miler due to the aforementioned severe shin pain.  I had bought a LivingSocial deal for Bikram yoga.  I fell in love with it.  But due to work and the location of the Bikram studio being out of the way, I wasn't able to continue my practice.  Because I've let work consume my life, I have seen numbers on the scale that I never thought I'd ever see (unless I was pregnant).  I've struggled trying to lose each and every pound - but I relapse and the weight comes right back on.  I've succumbed to eating junk food because it's quick, easy, and satisfying.

I am putting my foot down today and making a change.  2013 will not be a repeat of 2012.  I WILL get back to my 2011 weight.  I WILL put my well being right back up on my list of top 10 priorities.  I WILL no longer neglect Riley and I WILL exercise him by taking him on those long hikes that he loves.  I WILL start making healthier choices when I eat out.  I WILL exercise at least 5 times a week.  I WILL run the Marine Corps Marathon this year - and train smart for it.  I WILL take a vacation.  I WON'T do work while I am on vacation.  I WILL do my darnest to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night (since I am realizing that I'm getting old and I cannot function on anything less than that).  I WILL be better at managing my time and WILL make time to see my friends.  I WILL hold myself accountable for taking care of myself and WILL document my journey on my blog.

I'm filling up 2013 with a bunch of races to make sure I stay active and I let myself fall into the "Not Taking Care of Yourself" trap.

2013 Race Schedule
March 23 - Marine Corps 17.75k (tentative)
April 7 - Cherry Blossom 10 Miler (confirmed)
April 28 - Nike Women's Half Marathon DC (confirmed)
Oct 27 - Marine Corps Marathon (confirmed - due to 2012 deferral)
Nov - Turkey Trot (tentative)

And to start my weight loss journey, I signed up for Run with Jess' Run Your A$$ Off Weight Loss Challenge through DietBet.
http://www.runwithjess.com/2012/12/weight-loss-challenge-starts-monday.html
You pay $10 to participate - your $10 goes into the pot of money that you have a chance of winning a share of.  You have 4 weeks to lose 4% of your starting weight.  If you lose at least 4%, then you get to split the pot of money with everyone else that lost at least 4% of their weight.  You have until midnight tonight to register (only $10) and get your weight registered.  The pot is up to $5000 as of right now!

4 comments:

  1. I got into the Cherry Blosson 10 miler too!! I think I am going to do Jess's Run your A$$ off challenge. I will decide in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back! It sounds like 2013 is going to be a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your 2013 is going well! Any big races coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim! You won my Core Foods Bar giveaway on RDM! Please email me with your mailing address - runningdivamom at yahoo dot com
    Thanks!
    Jamie
    www.runningdivamom.com

    ReplyDelete